The AMEDDC&S traces its lineage to the Medical Field Service School (MFSS) established in 1920 at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania. The mission of the MFSS was to train doctors, dentists and nurses in their duties as Army officers. In 1924, the MFSS conducted the first professional courses for noncommissioned officers and privates first class. The MFSS moved to Fort Sam Houston in 1946 and was located in the 9th Infantry Regiment quadrangle. In 1972 a reorganization of the MFSS resulted in the re-designation of the MFSS as the Academy of Health Sciences and consolidated the Army`s medical training, making it one of the largest medical training institutions in the world. In 1991, it was re-designated as the Army Medical Department Center and School, with the Academy of Health Sciences becoming the school arm of the AMEDDC&S.